10 Supplements for Adrenal Fatigue
You’re feeling run down and just can’t seem to get your energy back. Or maybe you have too much and find it impossible to relax.
You’re having trouble falling asleep and/or you wake up at the same time each night and lay awake for an hour or more.
You crave sugary or salty foods (more than usual).
And you just don’t feel yourself.
Adrenal fatigue (exhaustion of the adrenal glands typically due to stress) may be the culprit.
Fortunately, there are a variety of healing self-care options that can help (such as proper diet with lean protein, adequate movement, and active rest) and one of the most helpful is herbal supplements.
Dr. Graves primarily prescribes three different types of supplements for adrenal fatigue:
- adaptogen herbs (plants that promote homeostasis in the body, especially during times of stress)
- vitamins that support stress management
- adrenal glandulars (precursor hormones produced by the adrenal glands)
Depending on symptoms, lifestyle, and test results, he recommends a customized (and many times, blended) plan of supplements.
Here are 10 that are commonly suggested:
- Ashwagandha. One of the most helpful herbs for stress management and adrenal fatigue, it tends to be calming, but supportive.
- Siberian Ginseng. Also known as eleuthero, this plant can help stabilize energy levels.
- Holy Basil. This plant has been shown to support mental health (particularly when it comes to anxiety and depression) and reduce stress.
- Rhodiola. Many times an ingredient in a combined herbal stress support supplement, rhodiola can help the body adapt to stressors and may even decrease depression and improve cognitive health.
- Schisandra Berry. This adaptogen fruit helps manage stress and can support healthy sleep.
- Cordyceps. Actually a fungi, cordyceps can help stimulate energy.
- Licorice Root. Commonly found in the supplement or herbal tea aisle, licorice root tends to reduce the release of cortisol (helpful for those who need to balance their energy levels).
- B Complex Vitamin (particularly B5). During times of stress, B vitamins can become depleted. A B12 shot (that boasts B vitamins and other supportive nutrients) can increase levels relatively quickly although supplements can be used as well.
- Pregnenolone. A precursor hormone to estrogen and other hormones, this supplement helps increase low levels of this natural physiological chemical in the body.
- DHEA. In addition to pregnenolone, DHEA is an adrenal glandular that is naturally produced in the body and is the precursor to such hormones as estrogen and testosterone. Optimal levels can be crucial for proper adrenal function (a blood test can analyze) in which this supplement may be prescribed.
While all of these can be found in supplemental pill form (note that some may come in AM and PM formulas), also consider herbal teas and nutrient-rich foods that may contain or support these herbs, vitamins, and hormones.
Do you feel your energy level, sleep routine, digestion, and/or stress management needs to be examined for adrenal fatigue?
Dr. Graves and the CNMA office is here to help.
Please call us at (303) 688-6698 or click here to schedule a 15 minute phone consultation with Dr. Graves to discuss your symptoms, possible testing, and next steps in your healing process.
The CNMA office provides naturopathic care, testing, massage, and holistic counseling to those in Castle Rock, Castle Pines, Highlands Ranch, Lone Tree, Centennial, Parker, Larkspur, Monument, Colorado Springs, and the greater Denver metro area. For those outside of these areas, virtual appointments are available.