It’s summertime! And that means it’s also party time!
With Fourth of July just around the corner and summer in full swing, it’s time to get that barbecue grilling, the water balloons flying, and the guests smiling and laughing!
Ahhh….sounds great just thinking about it.
However, summer parties can also get many of us a bit anxious. All that food, the drinks, the… desserts! But just because it’s a party doesn’t mean we have to starve ourselves beforehand, deny ourselves any drinks, or even say no to going in order to keep our health in check.
It’s good for us to go have fun! To connect with others! And to make new memories!
Our only advice? Do it smartly.
Who doesn’t love a few easy, quick tips that can make all the difference when it comes to feeling good and still having fun?
Well, here you go! Our tips and tricks to staying healthy during summer party season – you just may wish you had known about these years ago…
WHAT TO EAT?
Easy! Think fruits, vegetables, and proteins.
Keep these the main staples of your plate. Sure, a burger with a big bun sounds fabulous, but skip the bread and go bunless. Your blood sugar will stay more stable and allows you to go for the good stuff…Dessert!
If you know you are going to eat dessert, we recommend staying away from carbs for the rest of your meal. It’s better to have a burger and a salad than a burger and french fries when in- dulging in pie and ice cream.
Let the sugars come from what you REALLY want, not just because something is there in front of you.
WHAT TO DRINK?
Chances are there will be plenty to pick from – all loaded with sugars. Soft drinks, iced teas, cocktails, etc. So what is the healthiest?
First, it’s important to always be drinking water no matter what you select. This will keep you hydrated and continue to flush out unwanted ingredients. Try for one glass of water for every glass of something “not-so-healthy” that you choose.
Second, if you’re going to drink, consider a less sugary option such as:
- vodka and club soda with lime
- gin and sparkling water with lime and mint
To cut calories, simply stay away from the sugar. Cut out all mixers and stick to actual fruit ver- sus fruit juices.
HOW TO GET RID OF BLOATING?
Indulging in bbq and picnic foods can be fun and good to splurge on once in a while, but have you ever experienced the bloating feeling afterwards? Bleh!
This is typically from intaking a high amount of sodium and it being unbalanced with potassium. To combat the feel- ing, eat foods rich in potassium. Try yogurt, bananas, or coconut water to balance the system out.
HOW TO GET RID OF HANGOVERS?
You may wish you would have known this years ago, but there are some simple remedies to cure those morning- after hangovers!
It’s important to know that hangovers and associated symptoms are mostly attributed to dehydration.
It seems simple enough to just drink water to help with that, and although that is the main component to feeling better, there are a few other things you can do that will help you along such as:
- taking a B Complex Vitamin. Alcohol breaks down into formaldehyde in our bodies once digested. B1 detoxifies this, helping us cleanse our system of the toxin.
- taking a Probiotic. Alcohol can be rough on the stomach and digestive track, so a probiotic helps protect the body through digestion and detoxification.
- taking Rhizinate, a form of licorice, that acts to coat the stomach lining. Take one before and after drinking for less heartburn and acidic stomach.
- intaking a slightly higher amount of Sodium. Even though we may think sodium is not great for us, it can help us stay hydrated while we drink. Snacking on a salty food or enjoying salt on the rim of a cocktail glass can help the body maintain water until you are ready to flush it all out.
- eat Protein before going to bed. Do you ever wake up in the middle of the night for an hour or two after drinking? It’s probably because your blood sugar is fluctuating wildly from the alcohol. Eating protein before going to bed and can keep blood sugar leveled while you sleep. And we all know how much difference a good night’s rest can make!
Are you ready now for that summer party? We hope so!
Keep in mind that it’s a great time of year to relax, have fun, enjoy the warm weather, and con-nect with friends and family that you haven’t seen in a while. Just remember to do it safely and smartly.
If you live in Castle Rock, Castle Pines, Highlands Ranch, Centennial, Parker, Lone Tree, Monument, Larkspur, or Colorado Springs and too many summer picnics or parties have you feeling out of sorts and in need of a rebalance, please schedule an appointment with Dr. Graves to get you feeling back to your self again!