“I can fall asleep, but find myself awake from 3:00am to 5:00am or until my alarm clock goes off.”
“I lay in bed wide awake watching the clock tick by for hours until I can fall back asleep.”
“Sleep is just not my friend.”
Is this you, your boyfriend or husband, or even your father? Men and sleep can have a tumultuous relationship, so it’s not a surprise if it is.
However, there may be some good news for you or the man in your life dealing with challenges when it comes to sleep…and it doesn’t include prescription sleep medication.
Sleep is a vital part of our overall health and less than seven hours a night can put us in significant danger of developing an illness or disease such as, but not limited to:
– heart disease
– Alzheimer’s disease
in addition to exhibiting the overall feelings of lethargy, anxiety, irritation, and even depression. This is not fun for you or your family, friends, and co-workers.
At CNMA, we help many men better their physical and mental health through proper sleep.
Following are our recommendations for a good night’s slumber…
If you have trouble falling asleep:
think brain health!
Many times, men who face the frustration of falling asleep are dealing with the challenge of calming the brain. And those who lay awake thinking about work, bills, kids, etc. can attest to that!
However, even if your brain isn’t necessarily racing when your head hits the pillow, it can still be up and running as though it is daytime. But there is hope – in the form of simple tools and natural supplements that can welcome sleep.
To calm the brain and induce sleep, try:
- Acupuncture. Acupuncture can suppress the nervous system and bring balance back to the body and mind. Typically, 1-5 sessions can make a difference in the quantity and quality of sleep.
- NeuroCalm™ from Designs for Health®. This supplement made up of B vitamins, magnesium, L-Theanine, 5-HTP, and other nutrients works to encourage the production of GABA, which calms brain activity for sleep.
- CBD Oil. The cannabinoid CBD induces relaxation and can put a stop worrying and cyclic thoughts. It can be taken nightly with no concern of addiction and some oils or capsules are now 100% THC free (so no worries for blood tests, travel, etc.).
- Lavender Oil. Integrative Therapeutics® Lavela WS-1265™ is a high-grade, dense form of lavender oil in a capsule. Taking one before bedtime can ease the mind and encourage sleep.
- Meditation or Breathing Exercises. It may be the last thing your mind can be still for, but it’s important to try. Inhale and exhale slowly, counting up to 10. Repeat until feeling sleepy. Or, count backwards from 100 with each breath using one count.
If you have trouble staying asleep:
think hormone health!
At CNMA, we find that many men who wake up in the middle of the night and are not able to fall back asleep are suffering from a hormonal imbalance.
There are different hormones in the body that can trigger sleep issues, with three of the main ones being:
Testing can be done to determine if one or more of these hormones may be causing sleep disturbances. If they are, solutions such as these may be of help:
- Acupuncture. Much like helping one fall asleep, acupuncture can also help one stay asleep. When it comes to hormone health, acupuncture can slow the release of cortisol if levels are high (particularly from stress) as well as promote healthy testosterone and insulin levels.
- Integrative Therapuetics® Cortisol Manager™. This blend of ashwagandha, L-theanine, magnolia bark extra, and other herbal blends slows the production of cortisol. Taken at night, it can lower cortisol levels and keep them in-check throughout the night.
- BioGensis Andro Plus™. This supplement supports the body’s natural production of testosterone for optimal levels.
- Melatonin Prolonged Release. Released into the body throughout the night, melatonin is a natural source in helping to fall and stay asleep.
- Eat Protein. If a spike in blood sugar is keeping you awake in the middle of the night, try eating protein to keep it level. A hard-boiled egg, a slice of cheese, or even a glass of milk can help keep sugars at bay during sleep.
Are you ready to start sleeping and feeling better?
If you live in Castle Rock, Castle Pines, Highlands Ranch, Lone Tree, Centennial, Parker, Larkspur, Monument, Colorado Springs, or the Greater Denver Metro area and are in need of a naturopathic doctor to help with sleep, look no further.
Call our office at (303) 688-6698 to order and pick-up any of these supplements or to make an appointment or click here to schedule a complimentary 15 minute phone consultation with Dr. Graves to talk about your sleep challenges and to learn how we may be able to help.
You don’t have to dread every night anymore. It’s time to welcome it…starting tonight.