What is typically an exciting time of year may look and feel
different over the next few weeks and months.
Many schools have different schedules, new guidelines, and various recommendations that have never been enacted before, which can leave both us and our kids feeling anxious, cautious, and uneasy at this new way of school life.
This is why we are sharing health tips for both you and your children as you navigate the new school year.
Tips for Kids:
Dr. Graves recommends 4 specific daily supplements when it comes to kids’ health:
- Probiotic (2-6 billion CFU per day)
- Vitamin D3 (30 IU per pound of bodyweight daily)
- Omega-3 fatty acids (especially DHA)
And the 2 most important things to teach your kids before they go back to school?
- Learning how to cough and sneeze into their shoulder or elbow.
- Knowing how to thoroughly wash hands for at least 20 seconds.
Don’t underestimate the power of these two things! Kids may say they know, but make sure they practice these health standards well before school starts.
Tips for Parents:
With new school schedules and guidelines, it’s important that you take care of yourself just as much as you take care of your kids.
Dr. Graves advises parents to:
- Have Acute Immune™ or Chronic Immune™, both by Mountain Peak Nutritionals, on hand. Take 1-2 capsules per day of Acute Immune™ at the FIRST SIGN of sickness until you feel better or opt for Chronic Immune™ 1-2 capsules per day for the first month of school or during the winter to support your immune system when kids are introduced to more “bugs.”
- Take Adaptogen Herbs for Stress. Whether it’s Adrenal Response® by Innate Formulas or AdrenoMend™ by Douglas Laboratories for everyday chronic stress, or Lavela WS 1265™ by Integrative Therapuetics® or CBD for acutely stressful times, with kids at home more and changing school lifestyles, make sure you are well-stocked to manage stress.
In addition to what you should have in your medicine cabinet to support you and your family’s health, there are other questions parents are asking when it comes to school this year:
If my kids go to school, can they get the virus with no symptoms and bring it home to others?
With what we know right now, yes, they can. The data on kids and the coronavirus is showing that the vast majority of kids are safe from death, but they can still bring it home to the rest of the family.
Is the frequent usage of antibacterial soaps and liquids safe?
We are seeing a significant increase in antibacterial liquids and disinfectant cleaning solutions most places we go – and in schools it may be no different. As long as these are alcohol-based and no rashes are appearing, they are generally safe for a short-term use, although, proper hand washing is most highly recommended.
So many sports or extra-curriculars are now different or canceled. Should I be concerned about my kids not having these outlets?
It’s important for kids to have diverse interests and this year activities may have to be shifted. To keep kids engaged, try new hobbies such as a musical instrument, puzzles, writing, sewing, painting, reading, or building and creating.
If sports are still a desire, opt for more lower-risk ones such as swimming, tennis, gymnastics, kayaking, skiing, or track and field.
Keep in mind that kids don’t have to be fully committed to organized after-school activities everyday. Spending quiet time at home reading with the family, playing games, running around the backyard, and just playing make-believe are great ways for kids to enjoy being kids.
Is it time you found a naturopathic family doctor?
Dr. Graves may be just the fit for you and your family.
If you live in Castle Rock, Castle Pines, Highlands Ranch, Lone Tree, Centennial, Parker, Larkspur, Monument, Colorado Springs, or the greater Denver metro area and are in search of a holistic doctor that understands both Western and Eastern medicine (Dr. Graves has practiced both) and currently works as an Eastern medicine doctor, please call us at (303) 688-6698 or click here to schedule a complimentary 15 minute phone consultation with him to see if our office is a good fit.
Whether it’s what to do when a child feels a cold coming on to what you can do to get more sleep, we are here to help you find and heal the root causes of your issues and get you and your family feeling all your best!