If you suﬀer from an unpleasant skin condition, you probably know how frustrating it can be to not only discover what is causing the issue but also how to control it – especially in a natural and healthy manner.
Whether it be acne, psoriasis, eczema, dermatitis, or other skin challenges, the number of people who endure skin disease are staggering – with up to 50 million people in the U.S. suﬀering from acne alone at some point during their lifetime.
Many western dermatologists immediately prescribe mediated topical ointments, which can be helpful, but we also find that this largest body organ can be treated by finding the root cause and then healed naturally from the inside out.
So what is there to know about treating your skin holistically? First, it’s important to understand skin health.
Our skin is a reflection of what’s going on internally in our bodies.
Skin irritation may be due to such things as:
– inflammation in the body
– food sensitivities
– an overactive immune system
as well as other internal imbalances. However, many of these causes can be helped eﬀectively and naturally.
Following are three specific skin disorders and holistic ways of treating them.
If you ever remember being told that eating fatty, greasy foods will lead to acne, you may be surprised to know it’s not just an old wive’s tale.
Eating unhealthy foods can cause upset in our gut and liver and if these organs are overloaded or are not functioning at optimal levels, it can lead to toxins floating around in the body – many of which can cause acne.
However it’s important that no matter what we eat, that our liver and digestive track function properly in order to process and eliminate everything from bacteria we ingest to environmental toxins we absorb. These organs are continuously detoxifying our system and we need to keep them in tip top shape!
Also, food or environmental allergies and/or sensitivities can play a role in the cause of acne. While many allergies or sensitives show up in childhood, they can develop at any age.
What to do?
When treating acne, we start with supporting the body’s internal system by recommending:
- Cleaning up your diet by eliminating gluten, dairy, and sugar
- Supporting the liver with Thorne® Liver Cleanse as well as Designs for Health® Acnutrol™
- Increase nutrient intake for skin and digestive health of Vitamins A, D, E, B5, Zinc, and Niacin
- Clean and support the gut with daily probiotics
- Treating with a holistic topical ointment, many natural products can be found at zizaidermatologyproducts.com
- Detoxifying the body with sauna, steam, and/or exercise for sweat detoxification
Mostly an immune disorder, psoriasis aﬀects over 8 million people in the United States and possibly 125 million people around the world. The plaque and/or rashes on the skin and extensive surfaces can be itchy and painful.
However, we continue to find that many people who suﬀer from psoriasis also suﬀer from an overactive immune system.
Causes of this imbalance in the immune system can be:
At CNMA, we work to calm the immune system. This is done by:
- Acupuncture to soothe overactivity
- Testing for food allergies/sensitivities
- Ingesting a healthful dose of daily probiotics
- Taking a Vitamin D3 Complete
Similar to psoriasis, eczema can be painful and itchy with patches of red rashes on the body. However, eczema is more due to an allergic reaction than an overactive immune system.
For those suﬀering from eczema, we recommend:
- Allergy testing and treatment (which may include allergy drops and supplements)
- Ortho Molecular Products Natural D-Hist and D-Hist Jr.
- Decreasing inflammation and moisturize the skin from the inside with Omega 3 Fatty Acids
Skin disorders can not only be embarrassing, but also debilitating in everyday life. They can aﬀect us at any age and there’s little warning before they sprout up.
And if traditional medication and ointments are not working or you prefer not to use them, know that there are healthy and eﬀective holistic options available.
If you live in Castle Rock, Castle Pines, Lone Tree, Highlands Ranch, Centennial, Parker, Larkspur, Monument, Colorado Springs, or the Greater Denver Metro area and are suﬀering from a skin condition, please call us at (303) 688-6698 or click here to schedule a complimentary 15 minute phone consultation with Dr. Graves to talk about your symptoms, what you’ve tried, and what you would like to explore in natural medicine.
Clear skin may be just around the corner.