Traditionally, Chinese medicine has revolved around the concept of balance. Optimum wellness that includes a stable mood, appropriate energy, proper sleep, and hearty vitality are all signs of the body’s equilibrium.
It seems simple, but in today’s society it can be quite difficult to achieve.
Take for instance:
- an overly busy schedule
- chronic stress
- a less-than-ideal diet
- excessive use of alcohol and/or drugs
- too much or too little movement
- not enough hydration
- erratic sleep routine
- overuse of technology/social media
- all-consuming political or societal conflicts
These are just a few ways we can become unbalanced in everyday life.
However, just because it may be common to live with excess yin or yang energy, that doesn’t mean it’s healthy according to Chinese medicine standards.
When things get out of whack? Well, it may result in everything from mild fatigue to serious disease which is why being mindful of our body’s harmony is all the more important.
10 simple ways to inspire your own equilibrium in today’s world!
- Make Your Favorite Healthy Meal or Soup. A warm bowl of nutrients and comfort can do wonders for the body and soul. Nourish yourself with your favorites often.
- Connect with Nature Everyday. Whether a neighborhood walk, lunch in the park, planting a garden, or watching the sunrise, intertwining the natural world in daily life can bring awareness and grounding.
- Drink Up. Healthy fluids, that is. Aim for half your body weight in ounces each day with clean water, bone broths, and teas.
- Snuggle! Make time every evening to cuddle up – with a partner, your children, a pet, or a cozy blanket. Relax in the sensation of comforting touch from a hug, a snuggle, or something soft.
- Schedule Acupuncture Quarterly. One of the most effective ways to balance the unbalanced? Acupuncture. This therapy specifically focuses on equalizing yin and yang energies. In some cultures, this is scheduled each season in order to keep balanced sustained.
- Move – like Goldilocks! Too much movement and you can suffer from excess cortisol and the inability to relax. Too little movement and you may find extra pounds creeping up and heart disease on the horizon. Find middle ground or balance tough workouts with gentler ones and vice versa.
- Try Supplements. Much of our team utilizes stress management supplements frequently in order to stay balanced. There are a variety of options that may be helpful including Lavela 1265™ by Integrative Therapeutics® or CBD for acute stress, or Adrenal Response® by Innate Response® and Cortisol Manager™ by Integrative Therapeutics® for chronic stress.
- Bring Awareness to Your Body. At least once a day, tap into what is going on in your body and adjust accordingly. This can be done with breathing techniques, meditation, yoga, and just overall stillness. You may be surprised at how often your shoulders are hunched up or how tight you are holding your hip muscles!
- Detach from Technology. Take a break from the screen and connect with your environment.
- Have fun! Play is just as important for adults as it is for kids – even though it may look a bit different. So enjoy those hobbies and do them often!
Balance may be one major key in optimal health so consider how balanced you are right now.
Are there things you can do to calm excessive energy or build up more? For naturopathic support in keeping energy stabilized for prevention and/or treatment, please call us at (303) 688-6698 or click here to schedule a free 15 minute phone consultation with Dr. Graves to talk further.
The CNMA office provides naturopathic care, testing, massage, and holistic counseling to those in Castle Rock, Castle Pines, Highlands Ranch, Lone Tree, Centennial, Parker, Larkspur, Monument, Colorado Springs, and the greater Denver metro area. For those outside of these areas, virtual appointments are available.