20 Simple acts of love for your heart
Your heart does a lot for you everyday…like give you life.
What do you do for it?
Considering heart disease is the number one cause of death in the United States, giving this essential organ the love and care it deserves can be vital for a long and healthy life.
And it may be easier than you think!
Healthy behaviors that:
- reduce and manage stress
- promote good sleep
- boost a nutritious diet
- include enjoyable exercise/movement
- support mental and emotional health
can all have a positive impact on our heart.
Looking for inspiration?
Following are 20 simple things you can do to take care of your heart on a daily basis:
- Get in extra movement whenever you can. Park further away from an entrance, take the stairs instead of an elevator, and offer your dog an additional walk around the block.
- Have a cup of hibiscus tea. It may help reduce blood pressure.
- Consume omega 3 fatty acids. Cold water fish, fortified eggs, flax seeds, chia seeds or fish oil supplements can help decrease inflammation.
- Practice yoga. It can lower heart rate, blood pressure, cholesterol levels, and help balance blood glucose.
- Have a salad. Vitamin K in greens promotes healthy arteries and blood clotting.
- Say no to an unhealthy lifestyle habit. Smoking and being around second hand smoke, overabundant drinking, frequent binge-watching, and excessive stress can all negatively affect the heart.
- Take an adaptogen supplement. These herbs help calm and balance the nervous system and create homeostasis in the body.
- Get acupuncture or a massage. Like yoga, acupuncture and massage can reduce blood pressure, lower heart rate, and support stress management.
- Have a piece of dark chocolate for dessert. Full of antioxidants, dark chocolate may lower your risk of heart disease. Opt for chocolate with at least 70% cocoa.
- Read, journal, or meditate before bed. A healthy sleep routine can support both falling and staying asleep and in turn, care for your heart.
- Check it out. Many pharmacies have public blood pressure machines. Check your own the next time you see one.
- Eat just one serving. Overeating can cause weight gain and stress on the heart.
- Snack on berries. Fresh, frozen, or dried – berries boast antioxidants the heart loves.
- Connect with someone. Invite a neighbor over for tea or coffee, call an out-of-town relative, have dinner with a friend, or find some quiet time to talk with your spouse.
- Enjoy a hobby. A great way to reduce stress, hobbies can be an enjoyable way to love your heart.
- Get screened. Schedule your yearly physical and be screened for diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and vitamin deficiencies.
- Consume electrolytes. Especially in hot weather, after a sweaty workout, and during times of stress.
- Order a glass of red wine. It may help reduce risk of cardiovascular disease. Limit to 1 per day for women and 2 per day for men.
- Go fresh over packaged. Packaged foods can contain high amounts of sodium and too much can lead to high blood pressure and stroke so limit as much as possible.
- Have fun. Take a weekend (or night) off from chores, plan your favorite activity, go on vacation – just take a break from the grind and have (healthy!) fun.
What will you do today to care for your heart?
For naturopathic heart healthcare, please call us at (303) 688-6698 or click here to schedule a free 15 minute phone consultation with Dr. Graves to talk further.
The CNMA office provides naturopathic care, testing, massage, and holistic counseling to those in Castle Rock, Castle Pines, Highlands Ranch, Lone Tree, Centennial, Parker, Larkspur, Monument, Colorado Springs, and the greater Denver metro area. For those outside of these areas, virtual appointments are available.