Detoxification seems to be a major buzz word in the holistic health community, but what does it actually mean?
Detoxification is actually what our bodies do naturally to neutralize, transform, or get rid of toxins and waste. It is a primary function of the body, working in conjunction with all of the other functions of the body. So, a detoxification diet is simply about improving and optimizing the function of your body’s own detoxification systems. This is done by decreasing the amount of toxins allowed into the body, while at the same time supporting our body’s detoxification and elimination pathways with the nutrients it needs to function properly. Spring is the best time to do this process!
Who Should Detox?
If you want to lose a few extra pounds, are struggling with seasonal allergies, or want to help balance your hormones, a spring detox can help.
The body detoxifies through the skin, kidneys, colon, lungs, and lymph, but the main organ of detoxification is the liver. Toxins enter the body in food, water, through the skin, and by inhalation. These food, drug, and environmental toxins enter the bloodstream and the liver filters the blood to remove them. The liver transforms the toxins into a form that can be released through the kidneys via urine, or through the colon via bowel movements. A healthy liver will produce about one liter of bile per day to transport toxins out of the body. However, when the liver is sluggish, toxins can build up, causing inflammation and oxidative stress. Toxins that aren’t eliminated return to the bloodstream and are eventually stored deep in the fatty tissues. This can cause a number of illnesses and diseases. Decreasing the toxic load during a detox diet is critically important to allow this organ to function properly; both for detoxification and for all of the other important functions the liver performs.
Detoxification is an opportunity to heal the lining of the digestive tract; detoxify the liver, blood, and cells; balance blood sugar; and discover hidden food sensitivities that may be compromising your health. Detoxification naturally boosts energy, rids the body of excess waste, assists weight loss, alleviates seasonal allergies, builds a stronger immune system, improves state of mind and encourages clearer thinking, and creates healthy, glowing skin.
A Detox Lifestyle
Participating in a seasonal detoxification or allocating time for a detox several times per year is beneficial, however, I strongly encourage you to live a ‘detox lifestyle’. This simply means making daily decisions to support your pathways of detoxification, limit exposure to toxins, and give your body the support it needs to perform this natural bodily function.
Need ideas for how to detox naturally on a regular basis? Read on…
Eight Easy, Inexpensive Ways to Detox
1. Eat more cruciferous vegetables! Cruciferous vegetables include: broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, kale, Brussels sprouts, and more. These vegetables assist liver detoxification and help clear excess estrogen from the body. Cruciferous vegetables are rich in vitamins, minerals, and are anti-inflammatory too.
2. Add chia seeds to your protein smoothie, oatmeal, or even tea to add fiber to your diet and support digestion. One oz. of chia seeds contains approximately 11g of fiber or 40% Daily Value – that’s a lot!
3. Drink hot water with lemon first thing in the morning to jump start digestion and elimination and increase your metabolism throughout the day. It stimulates your GI tract, improving your body’s ability to absorb nutrients all day and help food pass through your system more easily.
4. Take high-quality digestive enzymes to help break down fibrous foods like fresh fruits and vegetables more easily and absorb nutrients more readily. We recommend Integrative Therapeutics Similase, Transformation Enzymes DigestZyme, and Designs for Health Digestzymes with betaine HCl, all of which can be purchased through our office or Fullscript.
5. Break a sweat every day to get the lymphatic system moving and push toxins out naturally through sweat.
6. Drink dandelion or milk thistle tea to support liver and kidney detoxification. Dandelion tea increases the flow of bile, which detoxifies and tones the liver.
7. Use a dry brush to stimulate the lymphatic system to move and release toxins, which reduces inflammation. Dry brushing exfoliates dead skin cells, increases circulation, reduces cellulite, relieves stress, improves digestive and kidney function, and as a result, improves sleep.
8. Oil pulling with coconut oil to eliminate toxins in the mouth, reduce plaque, whiten teeth, and freshen breath.
Are you ready for a full-body cleanse and metabolism reset? If so, then a seasonal detoxification is right for you! Schedule a FREE 15 minute phone consultation with our certified nutrition therapist, Andrea White, here to find out more.
Live a ‘detox lifestyle’ and you will experience the benefits of abundant energy, clear skin, a strong immune system, and optimal weight. You don’t have to do anything drastic to experience the benefits of detoxification – just avoid toxins in your food, water, personal care products, and environment. Give your body the support it needs and it will do the rest.